Monday, April 13, 2009

Chilean Washing Machines

So awhile back I FINALLY got my landlord to put a washing machine in my apartment unit.  I was ecstatic, especially after having to send my laundry out to the Pronto Matic for 5.000 CLP a load...I had to be selective about what I wanted to wash (and wear!).  The washing machine is a nice used front loading kind, which I have heard are really good.  My landlord showed us how to use it, instructing me to use certain cycles as they use less water.  It seemed pretty simple...I mean how hard could it be to wash clothes?

Well apparently, it can be pretty hard.  First off, the washing machine doesn't have a very good spin cycle, so my clothes came out sopping wet.  Since then, my clothes have still come out really wet and covered in detergent (the powder kind) and I have had to run them through the wash again, which is of course not very eco-friendly.

So am I missing the boat on how to wash my clothes chilean style?

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how to do it either!!! Every freaking time I wash clothes they come out with the powder soap on it!!! I am going to guess that the washing machines aren't really built to do a whole load at a time. Which would explain why my MIL washes 3 things at a time and is constantly washing clothes. BUT I found that if you spend the extra cash for liquid soap, we use Ace, it works perfectly and clothes come out without the powder crap on em!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhh... a fancy machine, I should be so lucky to know what you're talking about. Are you using the powder box that says its specifically for washing machines? Perhaps it melts better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahah! No. You are not missing the boat. Most of the machines suck. I swear nothing beats a Maytag or Kenmore, but can you find that here? Noooooo. Not that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insider Tip- ACE liquid costs as much as ACE powder. If you follow the measuring instructions of the liquid (and not use too much like a lot of Chileans do) it is the same cost as powder. ACE is also the same price as OMO. (I prefer liquid Ariel for the scent but it's more expensive- that and Sahne Nuss is what I bring back from Chile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. forgot to add- I have the same problem here with powder detergent and my washing machine. I mentioned I love Ariel and I can buy the Mexican Ariel here so I bought a bunch in powder form and noticed that I would find it on my dark loads after being washed. It is worse the fuller the load too. I'm using it on my lights until it's gone.

    ReplyDelete